Chasing Life II: the Lessons
Dr. Gupta: The lessons I learned in 'Chasing Life'
看過了Dr. Gupta在CNN製作的一小時special investigation report,再看Gupta自己針對寫書及製作紀錄片的這一年半來的心得,深有同感。
"I started writing "Chasing Life" after my first daughter was born, and my second daughter was born before the book was finished. These were life-changing events. Before becoming a father, I didn't worry much about my own mortality. Now, I want to take better care of myself so I can be there for the milestones in my childrens' lives. I want to see their graduations and weddings. I want to be there when they have children."
人類追求健康、長壽,千萬不可忽略這個「世代傳承」的意義。
"'Chasing Life' does not contain any gimmicks. There is no single, simple key to a long, healthy life. It's human nature to want an easy solution, but there isn't one. Life is complicated. 'Chasing Life,' the book and CNN documentary, use the latest research as a practical guide for living the longest, healthiest life possible."
紀錄片中提到多種方法,如同書中第一段提到的stem cell injection、growth hormones、daily supplements等等。不過到頭來還是那些老生常談:飲食均衡、規律作息、運動習慣、維持良好人際關係、並杜絕有害身心健康的嗜好。
"I've also tried to add more weightlifting to my exercise regimen. One thing I've learned during the writing of this book is how important lifting weights can be to avoiding broken bones and pneumonia later in life, while improving weight control, strength and posture now."
這一段也蠻有趣,原來weight-lifting還有這麼多好處,看來以後不能只騎腳踏車,還真要來點重訓了。
"Living well now is like putting money in a savings account. The dividends will come later, as you age. The better you are at "saving," the richer you will be when it comes time to reap the rewards."
最後,還是那句老話,想要活得老而健康,要從年輕就開始固本,愈早愈好。